(Click this Constable's Gate of Dover Castle text link to see the largest size)
Western Outer Curtain Wall of this 12th century Norman castle is via Constable's Road, a junction on Castle Hill Road above Connaught Park and the Zig-Zags Park (both Victorian).
The entrance for vehicular traffic lies further south at Canons Gate, or Canons Gateway.
Constable's Tower was built by John de Fiennes (John de Fienes) under William the Conqueror (2) and for this reason was once known as Fiennes' Tower.
In the 1216 Great Siege of Dover Castle during the First Barons' War against King John (3), the Dauphin Prince Louis, later Louis VIII of France (4), son and heir-apparent of Philip Augustus (one of the most successful medieval French monarchs), unsuccessfully besieged Dover Castle.
The importance of Dover Castle to the Dauphin's campaign is reflected in this 1784 account (5):